Friday 17 October 2014

Florence

I've had another busy week - and finished a quilt!


This is made using a Denyse Schmidt 'Florence' jelly roll.  I read somewhere that her colours are great for blending together because they contain so many different shades.  I can see why - this quilt has a lovely whole-ness to it that is greater than all the fabrics as individuals.  Although the white is Kona 'snow' it still looks far from plain.


The pattern is 'All in the Family' by Camille Roskelley from her first book 'Simplify with Camille Roskelley' with one less row and no border.


I made a giant bow-tie block from a larger piece of one cut and it really makes the back stand out.


Although the fabrics are lovely I wasn't impressed with the FreeSpirit cutting - the strips really struggled to be 2.5" wide.  The pinked edges were extra wide and I ended up cutting each 2x2 block down by 1/4" just to get some consistency.  The quilt finished at 112cm x 112cm (44" x 44").


I quilted this completely free motion - more than I have ever done before!  No markings were made so I just went for it.


It's Spring here - loving it!


Here's my helper - Gypsy the cat.  I love how she's always close by, even when I'm sewing.

I'm linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts for 'Finish it Up Friday' again.  Thanks Amanda Jean - you're an amazing quilter and I really appreciate how you support other bloggers.  :-)

I'll be back soon with some more projects to share... less blogging means more crafting!


3 comments:

  1. Wow! This is a lovely quilt Taryn. I agree with you about the pop of colour

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful Taryn. I love that range of DS fabrics too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this pattern! Beautiful colors and fun quilting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment and giving me a link to your work. I really value your support and encouragement. :-)
Recently I've had a lot of spamming on my blog so apologies to friends for making it trickier to comment. I value genuine comments even more!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...